Sunday, February 26, 2012

There's No Better Title than Herbed Cheddar Biscuits

I mean, come on, they're just too tasty! As I sit here, noshing on my leftover Herbed Cheddar Biscuits while I write, I confess that I'm feeling rather pleased with myself. You know those delicious Cheddar Bay Biscuits Red Lobster serves up (the ones you stuff your face with until you can't eat your food when it comes)? Yeah, those. That's what I set out to make when I first started playing with this recipe, but along the way I realized how flexible this recipe could be in terms of flavor. And, I think now I prefer my version (which is probably dangerous).

What You'll Need
Supplies
Large mixing bowl                                                       Cookie sheet
Mixing spoon                                                                Small mixing bowl
Dry and liquid measuring cups                                   Measuring spoons
Two tablespoons                                                          Spatula
Ingredients
2 cups Bisquick                                                            Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded cheddar cheese                 3 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup buttermilk                                                       1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 cup milk                                                                 1 Tbsp herb of choice

Now Let's Make Herbed Cheddar Biscuits!
Goooooooey
To begin, preheat your oven to 450F (That's about 230C, if anyone cares). Measure out 2 cups of Bisquick and add it to your large mixing bowl. Now add 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (I do this by weight, so that's exactly 6 oz). If you have it, measure out 1/4 cup buttermilk and pour it into the bowl (if not, do 1 cup milk instead of 3/4).  I had some on hand that needed to be used; it was exactly 1/4 cup, fancy that.  Then, add 3/4 cup of milk.  Mix everything together until you have a wet, gooey dough without any dry floury bits.

Spray your cookie sheet lightly with cooking spray. Using your two spoons, drop spoonfuls of dough onto the cookie sheet, evenly spaced about an inch apart.  Use one spoon to scoop the dough and the back of the other to scrape it off onto the pan. This recipe should make 12 biscuits, to give you a number to shoot for.  If you're overly conservative in your dropping and have dough left over, you can always add dough to each one.  That's why these are called drop biscuits: they're rustic (read, not so pretty), not prim little cut-out biscuits.  Set a timer for 7 minutes and bake at 450F until the timer goes off.


While the biscuits are baking, melt 3 Tbsp of butter in your small mixing bowl.  Try not to over melt it and let it start to evaporate.  Measure out 1/2 tsp garlic powder and mix it in with the butter.  I've also used garlic salt before, but I found that turned out a bit... salty. Just use garlic and salted butter and you'll be fine.  Now add 1 Tbsp of your herb of choice.  I used rosemary, so it had to be ground up a bit, as you see.  Other herbs that might be tasty: oregano (I'm pretty sure that's what Red Lobster uses), thyme, chives, etc.  Mix the herb into the garlic butter thoroughly.


Now, when the timer goes off, remove your biscuits from the oven.  Spoon the herbed butter over each biscuit evenly, until there is none left (click the picture to enlarge, cause it's awesome!).  This might be a little messy. Put the biscuits back in the oven and bake for another 3 minutes. When the biscuits are done, remove them from the cookie sheet to a bowl immediately to prevent bottoms from over-browning.


Cover the bowl and serve warm with dinner! Or, you know, by themselves.  They're delicious, either way.






Give me your biscuit, hooman, and I'll let you live...
this time.

   Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know you want to . . .